CHAPTER 8 : A HIMALAYAN TASK





CHAPTER 8

The next day we found ourselves in the living room of Sir Charles Baskervilles. The man himself was standing before us with a jovial smile.

“Sir, I am Arthur. Arthur Bell from the Daily Times. And this here is Professor Alexander Boyle.” said Jim as he introduced us to our innocuous victim.

“And what brings you to Devonshire, gentlemen?”

“I am doing a story for the paper. The Mysteries of the Shire. I was hoping if you could shed some light on the legend of the Black Dog.”

“Ah! A popular folk legend in these parts. I remember my mother threatening me with the tale when I was a child. ‘Eat your food, Charlie or the hound will come and get you.’ I used to get frightened and obey her. So did most of the kids in the village when their mothers told them the same tale. Those were the days we actually believed in the legend. My brothers and I would stay awake all night to get a glimpse of the hound.”

“What do you think now?”

“Tut! Mr. Bell! I am way over that age. I have gone through a lot in my life. Once you have come face to face with an African lion you seldom lose sleep over an imaginary hound. Besides, it’s just one of those ghost stories which folks make up to discipline naughty kids. I really am surprised that you came all the way just to seek my opinion on the topic. After all, I am no expert on folk tales.” said Baskervilles with a chuckle.

“Well, sir, the reason of our visit is something else. My friend, here, is in possession of a manuscript which may be of interest to you. Alex?”

It took a moment for me to realize that Jim was referring to me. I quickly took out the manuscript and handed it over to our victim, all the time maintaining a grave face. I was disappointed to note that there was no significant change in his manner as he read the old parchment.

“Where did you get this?” he asked suspiciously.

“I had recently made a visit to Central America to study the culture and superstitions of the indigenous tribes. There I came across an Englishman who said he wanted to sell an old manuscript related to the Black Dog of Devonshire. At first, I suspected it to be a hoax. What was such a manuscript doing, so far away from London? The man explained that it was passed on to him by his father. He added that it was the curse of his family and that he had run away from his home to escape the curse. Since the price was quite modest and the man seemed to be telling the truth, I bought it right away. When I learned that Artie was doing a story, I showed it to him. He wanted to cross check it with you before he published anything.” said I with my best poker face.

“And may I ask who the mysterious Englishman was?”

“He claimed to be your brother. One Mr. Rodger Baskerville.”

“Ah! Rodger!” he said with a chuckle.

“You seem amused.” remarked Jim.

“Of course! Rodger was the black sheep of the family. He always had a trick up his sleeve. He was neck deep in trouble because of it. That is the real reason he fled to Central America. I am sorry to say that Mr. Boyle was duped.”

“But the parchment seems to be very old.”

“These things can be forged, Mr. Bell. I have seen such things done during my time in Africa.”

Clearly the conversation was not going in the direction we expected. Sir Charles was proving to be a tough nut to crack.

“Mr. Bell, as the eldest son of my family, I am pretty sure that my father would have entrusted such a parchment with me rather than with his youngest son.”

“But was he not the ‘naughtiest’? The legend says the innocent will not go punished. May be he felt his youngest son needed it more than you.”

“Enough of this childish talk! There are no such things as ghosts, Mr. Bell. Now if you would excuse me, gentlemen, I have more serious matters to attend to.”

“We are sorry to have taken up your time, Sir.”

We beat a hasty retreat. Not only had we overstayed our welcome but we also made a complete fool of ourselves.
                               
***

I slumped into the sofa as soon as we reached our lodgings. The trip had left me drained.

“Such a waste!” I sighed.

“Don’t be so sure, Seb. Today we just planted a seed. In time, it will sprout and bear fruit. You must be patient.”

“I don’t think we even scratched the surface. Let alone plant seeds! Baskerville is a tough customer. He didn’t even buy our story.”

“We should have anticipated this.”

“What?”

“Anybody who goes to South Africa and makes a fortune couldn’t have been a saint. There is more to Sir Charles than that meets the eye.”

“It’s a sad thing that all your work went to waste. Speaking of which, did you bring back the manuscript?”

“No. I left it with Sir Charles.”

“Why would you do that?”

“What if he changed his mind and took the legend seriously?”

“You saw that man, didn’t you? He will not give the matter another thought.”

“Don’t be so sure of it, Seb. Wait till he sees the hound.”

“Didn’t you hear the man? He has faced an African lion. Why should he be afraid of an English dog?”

“What if it’s not an ordinary dog that I have in mind?”

“What do you have in mind, a hell hound?”

“You ought to know. After all, it was you who introduced me to it.”

“Me?”

Moriarty took a book from the shelf and gave it to me. I looked at the title. Heavy Game of the Western Himalayas. My first book.

“Chapter  18.” said Jim.

I turned to Page 105 but I already knew what Moriarty was implying. This particular chapter contained an incident that was not easily forgotten.

The hour was well past midnight. My nap was cut short by a strange howl. I came out of the tent and looked around. My companions Colonel Anderson and Sherpa Jan Bahadur were also out of their tents.

“What was that?” I asked Bahadur.

“Do Khyi.” replied the Sherpa.

“Door guard?”

“The Himalayan mountain dog, Saheb.”

“Well it’s just a dog. Let’s go back to sleep.” said Anderson as he went back into the tent.

I looked at Bahadur. He seemed perturbed.

“What’s bothering you, Bahadur?”

“Do Khyi is a guard dog, Saheb. It’s used by the monks and nomads to protect their property.”

“So?”

“There are no monasteries in these parts and the nomads usually are down in the plains during this season.”

“I don’t get your point.”

“A tamed Do Khyi is a dangerous opponent. It can take on wolves and leopards on its own. But an untamed Do Khyi is ten times as dangerous. Especially during a full moon night.”

I looked at the moon in its brilliance. When I was a child my grandmother used to say that if you looked closely you could see Holy Mary holding Infant Jesus. For a moment, I thought I saw it. Then another long howl broke the silence of the night. As if answering the creature’s call, a fog dissented upon us. I went back to my tent to get my rifle. Better to not take any chances. Bahadur was working hard to keep the fire alive. Anderson was also out of his tent now.

“Do Khyi is hungry.” remarked Bahadur as another howl was heard, this time from a close range.

We stood alert, waiting for the predator to make its move. Bahadur took out his shining long knife. It glistened in the moonlight. Anderson had his pistol on the ready. I rechecked my rifle. I had taken down tigers. How bad can a dog be?
And as if as an answer to my question, a blood chilling cry came from behind me. I turned around and for a moment stood rooted to the ground. Anderson was lying on the ground, the gun out of his grasp and his neck bleeding profusely. Over him stood a creature like none I had ever seen before. A wolf like beast with a lion’s main and blood dripping out of its open mouth. Covered in thick black fur, as dark as the night, the beast seemed to have been spat out of hell. Then it turned its glowing eyes towards me and I felt the strength drain from my body. Before I could move a muscle it pounced upon me. All I could do was merely watch. But before its deadly fangs could find my neck, a flash of light struck the beast down. With a moan of pain, it fell to the ground, rolled over and disappeared into the night, the Sherpa’s knife protruding from its back.”     

I looked up.

“You want a Tibetan mastiff? But it would take weeks to find one, let alone bring it to London.”

“That has already been arranged for my friend. Our Hound will arrive in London tomorrow.”

“But how did you get your hands on one?”

“I have contacts in Hindustan, my friend. After all, I grew up there.”

“You have been to India?”

“You do remember that we first met in the Anglo-Indian Club, don’t you?”
I nodded but my thoughts were elsewhere. It was on the hell hound which was to set foot on London soil the next day.   





No comments:

Post a Comment

Demo